Welcome to the parish of Harbury and Deppers Bridge, which has a population of approximately 2,500 residents and is situated about five miles south-east of Leamington Spa and three miles south-west of Southam.
The village is a thriving and busy community which boasts a Church of England primary school, doctor’s surgery, three public houses, a Post Office, two general stores, a chemist and a hairdresser. A number of other successful businesses operate within the centre of the village or on the small industrial estate on the site of the former water tower.
There is a well used village hall, an active church community, a community-run library and cafe, and a large number of vibrant and successful community groups. Village events such as the Carnival and the Bonfire all contribute to the sense of living in a real community.
Although at Deppers Bridge, the height above sea level is only 260ft, the main village of Harbury stands on a hill of over 400ft, where people have been living for more than 3,000 years. The village is also mentioned in the Doomsday Book of 1086.
The village grew substantially in the 19th century due to extensive quarrying in the surrounding area and the construction of the nearby railway. The former GWR line to Birmingham was, at the time, the deepest man-made cutting in the world at more than 100ft deep and is a significant engineering achievement. In the 1960’s the village saw a further period of rapid expansion with the building of a large number of new homes and it is this mix of old and new within the buildings of the village which give it an eclectic and interesting feel.
Amongst the issues facing the village today are the provision of affordable housing and the building of new homes generally, the future of established village businesses, traffic and improving local facilities particularly for the young and the elderly.
In 2003 Harbury won both the Warwickshire and Central Region rounds of the Village of the Year Competition and went on to represent the Central Region in the national competition – one of only six villages in England and Wales to do so. Since then the village has maintained its reputation as being one of the best communities in Warwickshire and continues to bring the concept of community spirit up-to-date into the 21st century.
- Parish Councillor Vacancy 9 April 2021 - A vacancy exists in the office of Parish Councillor for the Harbury Ward, by reason of the resignation of Cllr… (more)
- Annual Parish Meeting 8 April 2021 - Our Annual Parish Meeting this year will be held virtually, by Zoom, on Thursday 29 April 2021. This is not… (more)
- Help for Elderly and Vulnerable People 12 November 2020 - The parish council would like to do what it can to help elderly and/or vulnerable people during any lockdown. If… (more)
Other Recent Notices
- High Sheriff of Warwickshire Award Harbury Parish Council was delighted to receive an award from the High Sheriff of Warwickshire in recognition of ‘great and… (more)
- Seasonal Light Trail At the end of what has been a difficult year for all of us, the Parish Council has decided to… (more)
- Report Road Faults Visit www.warwickshire.gov.uk/reportroadfaults (opens in new tab) to report problems with any of the following directly to Warwickshire County Council: Highways… (more)
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh
Councillors and officers of Harbury Parish Council are deeply saddened at the news of the death of His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. Our thoughts are with the Royal Family at this time.
New Things on our Web…
- 13 Apr 21: Notice regarding HRH The Duke of Edinburgh on our home page.
- 09 Apr 21: Notice – Casual Vacancy for a Parish Councillor.
- 09 Apr 21: Councillors – More information of the role of a Parish Councillor.
- 08 Apr 21: Notice – Annual Parish Meeting poster and agenda.
- 08 Apr 21: Council Meetings – Agenda for Annual Parish Meeting on 29 April 2021.
- 08 Apr 21: Council Meetings – Updated list of Parish Council meeting dates for 2021/22.
- 07 Apr 21: Finance – Budget for 2021/22.
- 07 Apr 21: Finance – Councillor Allowances for 2020/21.
- 03 Apr 21: Council Meetings – Draft minutes from March’s Parish Council meeting.
- 03 Apr 21: Council Meetings – Approved minutes from February’s Parish Council meeting.
- 31 Mar 21: Notice – Presentation of an award certificate from the High Sheriff of Warwickshire.
- 30 Mar 21: Bins Collection – Refuse collection dates for April/May.
- 30 Mar 21: Harbury Diary for April/May on our home page.
- 19 Mar 21: Council Meetings – Agenda for Parish Council Meeting on 25 March 2021.
- 08 Mar 21: Council Meetings – Draft minutes from February’s Parish Council meeting.
- 08 Mar 21: Council Meetings – Approved minutes from January’s Parish Council meeting.
- 05 Mar 21: Notice – Details of the Census 2021 including help and information.
- 05 Mar 21: Bins Collection – Refuse collection dates for March/April.
- 05 Mar 21: Policies – Updated Financial Regulations.
- 03 Mar 21: Policies – Added Privacy Notice and updated Standing Orders.
- Previous Updates
Our web was last updated on 13 April 2021